Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Be of good cheer - hakuna matata - worry for today only not tomorrow

I was quite anxious and worried yesterday, Monday. We are in finals week in our high school and I am a teacher there. I was getting very anxious about many things. 1. My son facing serious criminal charges for choices he made a few months ago with drugs. Will be get favor from the judge and the court? 2. Our black Labrador has spinal deterioration and is loosing function of his back feet. What will his end be and how long do we have with him? 3. What am I not getting done with the demands of school ending. Am I forgetting something. These questions and worries were all about today and tomorrow.

The words of Jesus came to me as a comfort: "In this world you will have tribulations, but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world." (John 16:33). Later yesterday I was also getting my wife worked up because of all the worry and stress in me. I had missed some after school appointments that I was not aware of and I was called to the office by an administrator to settle a grade dispute from a parent. Toward the end of the day, the phrase Hakuna Matata came to me as an encouragement to live one day at a time and not get to anxious about tomorrow.

Discover: The Habit of 5 

No comments:

Post a Comment